[openbeos] Re: Hi from the PetrOS camp.

  • From: David Sowsy <dsowsy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 23:20:02 -0500 (EST)

> >We are still in the self-emerging phase of development
> >here and not  pursuing "partnering" or corporate motifs yet. So unless
> >you're going to dig in and start architecting and writing code right now,
> >I'm not sure how useful you can be.
> >
> >. *  *      *   .   \|/  *      *     ,   . *   '  *  .
> >.   .   *  ,     * --*--    .     `    * ,   .  *  ,  .
> >David Sowsy    .    /|\  BeOS Rebel and Coder   .  *  .
> >http://dsowsy.nanorevolution.com   .   *   .   *   .  .
>

> Owing to the fact that he's developed an operating system and can
> provide insights into some of the pitfalls he is very useful.

An operating system at its lowest level is a program. I've written both
programs and small operating systems for dedicated tasks. If someone is
putting their cards on the table, you have to question why. Insights and
pitfalls on how to, and how not to design an OS have been well travelled
roads. Ask any CS undergrad to point you to the pile full of OS books
that compare and contrast different shared memory schemes, threading
systems, and synchronization systems occur in all of the popular OSes.

If you're claiming that maybe we need a push in the business world, you
might want to pick up some basic books on marketing, and all of the
various techniques to lie, cheat, and steal to sell x number of widgets.
It's been made pretty clear to us that the MIT license is what we're going
with. Any attempt to hit a business angle on something that we don't
already have done is nothing more than a distraction.

> There's more to software design than just coding.

That was neither expressed nor implied, and if you had read the email I
sent instead of snipping out what was convenient for you, you might've
realized this. [FYI, I've spent the past 3 months at my dayjob working on
IEEE Std 830-1998 SRS requirements and functional specs for a huge
software project that I've been working on, and UML data models and
block diagrams will have to be prepared as well. ]

This guy comes out of of thin air and toots his own horn about his
commercial OS, and low and behold it makes news on http://www.osnews.com
(Thanks Eugenia!), which just bought him some free advertising without
actually doing anything.

Take a look at the FAQ

"Who can join?

Anyone! If you are a programmer, then let us know what your interests and
skills are and we'll find something for you to dive into. If you are a
writer, there are technical and user documents that will need to be
written. If you have web design or graphics skills, those are of great use
too. If you just like to write email, then help spread the word to others.
If you think you have any kind of contribution to make, by all means
contact us and we'll find something! A project such as this can't have too
many helping hands."

It does indeed say "any" contribution, but the tone of the FAQ is that
skills are needed, and that implies that people are using their skills to
produce output. Nothing in there about strategic partnering or licensing.