[openbeos] Re: Hi from the PetrOS camp.

  • From: "Daniel Reinhold" <danielr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 00:58:54 CST

Hello Peter!

I think it's interesting that you are aware of OpenBeOS and are
offering kernel support for it. I'm a bit confused as to what you
(Trumpet Software) would get out of such an endeavor. A licensing deal,
I presume? I would need to hear more specifics about that before I
could really say one way or the other.

For myself, I'm perfectly happy with the path we've chosen with using
NewOS. Outsourcing the kernel would have some obvious advantages, but
it would also have some drawbacks. The idea of designing our own kernel
was that the source code for the entire OS from top to bottom would be
in our hands and under our control. Unless NewOS has hit some major
obstacle that has the kernel team ready to jump ship, I would prefer to
continue the track we have already chosen.

>Hi.  Just thought I'd introduce myself.
>
>I have been talking to Michael Phipps about the possibility of
building a
>BeOS layer to our PetrOS operating system.
>
>We have a lot of the hard work of networking, OS kernel design and
stuff, and
>our kernel probably has facilities close to that which a BeOS user
>implementation might require.
>
>While we also do Win32, I've tried to design our kernel so that it's
not tied
>to any one OS philosophy.
>
>Anyway, after discussions with Michael, we think we could get some
suitable
>layer that could graft a beOS subsystem onto it by doing two things.
>
>1) creating a BeOS kernel driver module to provide BeOS kernel
services.

>2) adding an ELF loader as another executable format supported by
PetrOS. Our