[haiku] Re: Haiku installation

  • From: "Bruno Albuquerque" <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 01:21:35

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 02:34:02 +0200 CEST, Jonas Sundström said:

> > > Is there any good reason to disallow showing the desktop
> > > folder in a window apart from the reason of avoiding the
> > > insanely huge window version of it? (Desktop uses the same
> > > set of attributes as any folder, to store its properties,
> > > making it show up huge.)
> >
> > Yes. The spatial desktop concept (which Tracker was based
> > around) requires that no 2 windows represent the same
> > folder. The desktop is always open as, well, your desktop. :)
>
> Of course. You're right.
>
> What I propose is in violation of spatiality, but it
> would be limited to the desktop folder. Other folders
> would still be spatial.

Really, this is not needed. The solution is a lot more simple than
that:

Consider two arbitrary folders, A and B. A is in partition 1 and B is
in partition 2. Now consider that both have the same same, X. They are
still 2 separate folders and you can, of course, have both opened at
the same time in two windows (one for each).

Now expand that to the Desktop folder. There would be one special
Desktop folder (the one in the boot disk or the one that ends up being
linked from there) that is always opened, but you would be able to open
desktop folders in other volumes. I am not sure why be decided that
Desktop folders everywhere would be special.

In fact, we could move Trash out of the Desktop folder and, with this,
we would not even need other volumes than boot to have a Desktop folder
at all.

-Bruno