[haiku] Re: Haiku installation

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 22:42:14 +0200 CEST

"Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> And why does a home folder get created for every BFS volume?

Let me rephrase that. (Yup, I know about ~/Trash.)

I think ~/Trash makes sense only on a volume where Haiku
is installed, on which there are one or more "real" user
accounts. (Home folders in actual use.)

In a single-user scenario, of what use is the "home/"
part of "/USB-stick/home/Trash" or "/Storage-HD/home/Trash"
(Why not simply "/USB-stick/Trash" and "/Storage-HD/Trash")

In a multi-user scenario, why would users need a personal
Trash folder on such non-boot volumes? Especially removable
ones. There are likely no user accounts on a USB stick or
other volume, at least not any related to the ones on the
boot volume, even if user IDs may coincide. On such non-boot
volumes a single Trash should be fine too, (e.g.
"/USB-stick/Trash" and "/Storage-HD/Trash")

When Haiku multi-user eventually allows putting a user
account's home folder on a non-boot volume (sans hacks)
it would of course be fine to have ~/Trash on that volume
for the accounts living on it.)

IMO,
Jonas.