[haiku] Re: Haiku gcc2hybrid and software for gcc4

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 14:42:10 +0100

> They should not be added on a whim but if we want to grow the
> capabilities of Haiku we will need to include some foreign projects.

We need to keep binary compatibility and this is not possible with
most projects. The only solutions are then :
-Fork one version at one point and maintain our own base of security
updates on it. That's mostly what Debian do, but we're not them and
with only ~50 devs working on Haiku, I can't see how we could
-Wrap around a lib to make it usable in a native way on Haiku. This
makes it unuseable for morts. That's what we did for the Locale Kit
(wrapping around ICU for some things), AppServer (wrapping around
freetype), ...

> We don't have a package manager and my argument is that with a little
> bit of thought we won't need one.

For properly written apps relying on the system libs only, we don't.
For libs that break compatibility at each release, and apps that are
wrongly ported from UNIX world, it becomes les easy. It's just about
if you still want to run Firefox, VLC and all these SDL games, or wait
for the native webkit browser, mediaplayer and native games using the
Game Kit

As for clean package management, it could be just a matter of tagging
files in the zip you download with proper attributes. What's wrong
with package managers under linux is they maintain a database that's
not actually linked to the real files, so once you try to mess with
the real files, everything falls down. With an attribute system, the
package management will be really unobtrusive. The ideal solution
would be to just unzip an app and have the package manager pick it up.
Then you could go to some panel where it would say you :
-Hey, you miss this lib to make this app run
-Looks like there is a newer version available
-Warning! Mandatory security update !

That's about all. It will not enforce you to update or anything, but
just help you manage things. It can also allow you to uninstall parts
of an app that are properly tagged with attributes, but it will do so
by just building a query and showing you the files. The other parts
could also be done inside tracker by displaying something in the app's
icon...

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
Elève ingénieur ENSSAT EII1- www.enssat.fr