[haiku] Re: Haiku gcc2hybrid and software for gcc4

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 16:05:27 -0800

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Nick <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Without examples, it's hard to imagine exactly what Hubert is
>> complaining about..
>
> He is complaining about gcc4 game re-compiles on Haikuware not having proper
> compatibility with gcc2hybrid Haiku.  Also, from what I can tell, requiring
> gcc4 SDL library be installed to work.

Well, it could certainly be compiled for a gcc2hybrid (ala R1/Alpha1)
target easily enough, right? (I think you use setgcc gcc4 to switch
compilers, right?)

This is why targetting "official" releases is far more sane than just
throwing something out there and expecting users to figure out how to
make it work.

To make it worse, there was even an ABI change since R1/Alpha1 that
will require anything linking to BJoystick to be recompiled again -
which may include some games - so that introduces another possible
compatibility issue between R1/Alpha 1 and trunk builds.

Ultimately, this is what you can expect from an incomplete product
(definition of Alpha)...

- Urias