[haiku] Re: Haiku gcc2hybrid and software for gcc4

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 15:17:03 +0100

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 00:45:53 +1100
> Von: David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>

> 2009/11/5 PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > Le Thu, 05 Nov 2009 00:56:14 +0100, David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx> a
> > écrit:

> >> Can I suggest we rethink this approach.  Swapping directories about
> >> depending on how the OS was compiled is very confusing.  I am not at
> >> all surprised users are breaking things.
> >
> > Users should'nt care about building the OS. There is only one version of
> > Haiku available for them and they should use this one, the way it's
> done.
> > Still, having some find_directory constats for looking after the libs
> could
> > help.
>
> it is not about building the OS, it's about installing software.  The
> user should not have to try and figure out if the library is gcc4 or
> gcc2 to determine where it goes.

The user shouldn't move libraries around manually anyway, unless she knows what
she's doing.

> Maybe the lib directory can self sort, drop a gcc2 library in there
> and it either stays or gets moved to a gcc2 directory if the OS is
> gcc4.

I would be seriously pissed, if the system automatically moved away a file I
just put somewhere.

> I think the OS should do the right thing with a file regardless
> of how it was compiled.

That is of course possible, it's just a question of what it will cost us. The
runtime loader could try to find the best-suited libraries regardless of
whether they are in the right directories. Since this means opening and
checking all possible candidates, it will slow down loading, though.

For me the obvious solution is to have some installation tool -- be it a
full-blown package manager or a, for the time being, a simple script -- that
places files where they have to go.

CU, Ingo