[haiku] Re: Haiku gcc2hybrid and software for gcc4

  • From: scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 16:28:59 -0800

> It is this entire concept of ported packages that think they need to
> be installed in a common place that I am against.
>
> I have been developing and more importantly using software for over 25
> years and applications really do not share a lot of libraries and even
> if there is some library not provided by the OS that is so common
> between applications it is simply not critical that it be placed in a
> common location.

You'd be surprised how many apps rely on some very common libraries.
Take for  example
openssl, libxml, freetype, expat, libiconv, these are currently
available as Haiku optional packages and many programs depend on
these.  Perhaps with the large sized hard drives available these days
these libs could be rebuilts and included with each application, but
that sounds like a lot of extra work that I don't want to spend time
doing.  Now image if one of these dependency libs had a critial
security flaw that needed to be updated, we'd then have to track down
the 4 or 5 locations it's been installed on the system and changes
them all.  If you have vlc, netsurf and a few other programs you just
might have 3 or more copies of various versions of libiconv.so
floating around your system already, since those programs included it
in their own folders.

-scottmc