[haiku] Re: Mailing lists and etiquette

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 17:04:06 -0800

On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 00:00 +0000, Nicholas Blachford wrote:
> On 3 Nov 2009, at 06:06, FreeLists Mailing List Manager wrote:
>
> I had a quick through the mailing lists (most of which I didn't know
> existed until today) and very few have any recent activity on them.
>
> I see the same thing on web forums, you get sites with all sorts of
> topic specific areas but nobody ever uses them, all activity tends to
> concentrate around one or two areas.

I think the issue of off-topic threads on the mailing lists is more a
problem with people not spending a little time to inform themselves on
the various means to interact with the community.

> I'd delete the non-active lists and just let everything end up on the
> main lists (i.e. what's happening now).
> If people aren't interested in particular threads they don't have to
> read them.

Dumping too many areas of discussion into a single mailing list (as you
suggest) equates to subscribing people to topics that they would not be
interested in the first place and could get pretty messy. Not that I
could not delete the messages that I am not interested in, but why would
I have to spend my time in such an unproductive way?

> BTW on a minor (but rather pedantic) point.  The openbeos-cdt list is
> for a specific team, since nobody appears to be in that team, or even
> knows of it's existence, the UI discussion is therefore on-topic.

Glass Elevator would have still been a better place anyway. I do get
your point, though, so I have removed all references and links to the
now deprecated teams from the mailing list index page.

Regards,

Jorge/aka Koki