[haiku] Re: Haiku gcc2hybrid and software for gcc4

  • From: "Alexandre Deckner" <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 15:02:24 +0000

David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We don't have a package manager and my argument is that with a little
> bit of thought we won't need one.
>
> But clearly you are sold on the idea, so one will be written and we
> will all go through the growing pains of broken installs, uninstalls
> that don't remove everything or remove too much.  Just like all those
> other package managers in Windows and the various linux
> distributions.
>  Users won't mind, they are used to it.

I don't know if there has been a formal annoucement or if it's even
needed, but if you followed the discussions during the past months,
most if not all devs publicly discussed and agreed that Haiku needs and
will have package management. There even was a brainstorming session at
the BeGeistert, it's almost already past the design phase. Of course no
one will be forced to use it, and one will be free to unzip stuff the
old way, but at this point...
To those fears you and others might have, let's just wait to see an
actual implementation before saying it will be so bad.

Regards,
Alex