[haiku] Re: Haiku UI Redesign.

  • From: "Ari Haviv" <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 07:31:44 -0500

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 9:58 PM, Cyan <cyanh256@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It's still highly relevant today -- monitor DPIs have fallen through
> the floor in the last few years (e.g., 1920x1080 across 40", compared
> to 1152x864 across 15" 12 years ago), so what's happening at the
> pixel level is really important.

Aesthetics will always matter and you can't just cover up bad
aesthetics with more resolution, gradients and shadows. But if we get
the basics right then all the fun stuff will just be icing on the
cake. We'd then have a standard look that would stand the test of time
while the others are always redesigning everything for every new
version.

> The main problem is that it almost requires an engineer's approach
> to the problem, yet it's a field considered by many as an entirely
> creative one. Finding people who're willing to get down to the pixel
> level for the sake of making the OS truly more usable is going to be
> quite hard I think...

We need someone who thinks like a font designer...