[haiku] Re: Haiku UI Redesign.

  • From: "Ari Haviv" <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 08:55:38 -0500

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 10:44 AM,  <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 22/12/2008, kallisti5 <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> There are some in the thread that say the use
>> of rounded corners will take extra cpu time but most of us have more then
>> enough cpu to spare ;)
>
> There have been efficient algorithms to draw rounded-on-the-edges
> rectangles (roundrects) since the first Macintosh was unveiled in '84.
> Apple probably patented it back then, but those ought to have expired
> by now.

from
http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Round_Rects_Are_Everywhere.txt

When Steve and Bill passed a no-parking sign with rounded corners, it
did the trick. "OK, I give up", Bill pleaded. "I'll see if it's as
hard as I thought." He went back home to work on it.

Bill returned to Texaco Towers the following afternoon, with a big
smile on his face. His demo was now drawing rectangles with
beautifully rounded corners blisteringly fast, almost at the speed of
plain rectangles. When he added the code to LisaGraf, he named the new
primitive "RoundRects". Over the next few months, roundrects worked
their way into various parts of the user interface, and soon became
indispensable.