[haiku] Re: Haiku UI Redesign.

  • From: "Cyan" <cyanh256@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 02:58:35 GMT

"Ari Haviv" <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> MacOS 9 is the gold standard because it justifies every single
> pixel in the UI without any special hardware effects such as
> shadows. It's like the old school pixel art.

Ah, well I'm a huge fan of pixel art, so that probably has something
to do with my fondness for Mac OS 9's appearance! (I don't own, nor
have ever owned a physical Mac)

It's still highly relevant today -- monitor DPIs have fallen through
the floor in the last few years (e.g., 1920x1080 across 40", compared
to 1152x864 across 15" 12 years ago), so what's happening at the
pixel level is really important.

> I'm not saying that Haiku should take MacOS 9 and simply replace
> the title bar with title tabs, but it should follow the same
> attention to detail.

The main problem is that it almost requires an engineer's approach
to the problem, yet it's a field considered by many as an entirely
creative one. Finding people who're willing to get down to the pixel
level for the sake of making the OS truly more usable is going to be
quite hard I think...