[haiku] Re: Haiku UI Redesign.

  • From: "Ari Haviv" <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 21:04:35 -0500

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Cyan <cyanh256@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Ari Haviv" <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I think the UI is still too flat and could stand out a bit more,
>> like Mac OS 9.
>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9f/
>> Mac_OS_9_screenshot_2.png
>

> This is actually a very good example of what I meant about "depth"
> in GUIs. Although the overall appearance of Mac OS 9 looks a bit
> dated now (it's mostly in the subtle edge details), it has a very
> good "presence" -- every control practically sticks right out of
> the screen and is impossible to miss, yet at the same time doesn't
> actually gouge your eyes out.
>
> No other OS I've seen has this level of clarity. BeOS R5 comes
> close, but it doesn't really reach the same standards. It would
> be nice to see Haiku gain a comparable level of clarity, rather than
> going in the direction of most other OSs where things are getting
> less and less clear, merging into a big pool of softened-edge fuzz!

MacOS 9 is the gold standard because it justifies every single pixel
in the UI without any special hardware effects such as shadows. It's
like the old school pixel art. I'm not saying that Haiku should take
MacOS 9 and simply replace the title bar with title tabs, but it
should follow the same attention to detail.
The other OS's like to show off the latest tricks and while they look
modern today, they'll quickly become dated once people are bored and
realize it wasn't very aesthetic or useful.