[openbeos] Re: Data or App Centric?

  • From: Helmar Rudolph <news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:27:19 +0200

Mikael Jansson (mailing lists) wrote:

> http://www.acm.org/ubiquity/interviews/v5i21_aza.html

        AZA: The fundamental idea that differentiates THE from
        everything else is that the world consists of exactly two
        distinct objects: Content and operations on that content.
        Things like text, images, and movies are content. Things like
        printing, converting to MP3, and translating to Japanese are
        operations. When you wish to complete a particular task you
        select the set of content you wish to operate upon and then
        issue the appropriate command to invoke the operation. If you
        have text selected, you can do things like move, copy, make
        italics, or send as e-mail. If you have an image selected,
        you can change its contrast, remove scratches, or send it as
        e-mail. You can use any command on any content at anytime. If
        you try to motion blur text, the system is smart enough to
        realize that it should be treating the text as an image and
        does the conversion automatically. Thus, we have done away
        with the idea of "applications" and replaced them with a more
        powerful and more humane paradigm.

Now the case is really rested. I guess great minds think alike. :))

Helmar