[openbeos] Re: Data or App Centric?

  • From: lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 00:44:07 -0800 (PST)

>> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 18:43:00 +0100 CET, Jonas Sundström
>> <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > I think it would be much better if the system could provide
>> > the necessary uniformity, to keep everyone from rolling their own.
>> > I would much rather have a good system-provided scanner dialog,
>> > (with possible extensions, should they be necessary).
>
> Actually I got that idea recently, and, humm... Sorry, can't tell more yet
> :p

Argh, don't talk about it then! :)

> Yes, BeHappy does that with NetPositive.
> You just need to create a BMessage with the correct field and pass it to a
> BShelf.

So what we need it to make the Replicant framework easier to use, and
provide for higher-level mechanisms(sp?) for interaction between the
container and the embedded app -- preferedly, the client (i.e., embedded)
should have the Replicant stuff built-in as much as possible (I think the
default API is a bit trickier than necessary), and that a way of exposing
the methods supported by the client in a high-level definition language.
We have most things in place for supporting a module-based (task-based,
even!) environment, with the Application Kit and whatnot.

OpenDoc Haiku-style :)

-- tic