[openbeos] Re: Data or App Centric?

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:56:04 +0100 CET

> > Actually I got that idea recently, and, humm... Sorry, can't tell more yet
> > :p
> >
> Argh, don't talk about it then! :)

:P
btw, seen Philippe Houdoin ?
Anyone who can assert the license for Sanity ?
(bebits says MIT but I'm not so sure.

> > Yes, BeHappy does that with NetPositive.
> > You just need to create a BMessage with the correct field and pass it to a
> > BShelf.
> >
> So what we need it to make the Replicant framework easier to use, and
> provide for higher-level mechanisms(sp?) for interaction between the
> container and the embedded app -- preferedly, the client (i.e., embedded)
> should have the Replicant stuff built-in as much as possible (I think the
> default API is a bit trickier than necessary), and that a way of exposing
> the methods supported by the client in a high-level definition language.
> We have most things in place for supporting a module-based (task-based,
> even!) environment, with the Application Kit and whatnot.

I've been thinking about extending the url-handling protocol...
(apps tell they handle files of type application/x-vnd.Be-URL-foo)
telling if they can be replicated.
That way a browser could handle plugins in a simpler way,
apps could embed VNC or RDP session by searching for a replicant that handles
vnc:me@foo:0 ...

> OpenDoc Haiku-style :)

embedding apps != embedding docs...
I'd say sending the replicant a pointer to a BDataIO it could use to load/save
its document would be generic enough... the holding app would then archive the
(MallocIO or whatever) in the way suitable for the container doc (base64 for
mail, ...)

François.