[openbeos] Re: Data or App Centric?

  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 18:54:23 +0100 CET

"Matthijs Hollemans" <matthijs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Cian Duffy wrote:
> > Forcing a slight learning curve . . .
>
> I agree. There's nothing wrong with requiring new users to learn
> about the
> system before they start using it (or better: while they are starting
> to use
> it).
>
> Dumbing down a system for clueless newbies only results in a system
> that no
> one will use (e.g. Microsoft Bob).

Okay, so I'm not talking about dumbing down the system -- it's rather
the opposite.  I want the system to tell you as much as possible about
the state of the system at any given point, so you don't need to look
up that information yourself.  For example; GNOME's Dashboard that
gives you context-sensitive information at all times, is a very cool
thing.

Not quite sure how to "fix" the problem, but I think it's something
that really needs to be addressed.

--
Mikael Jansson
http://mikael.jansson.be