[haiku-web] Upgrade to Drupal 6 (was: Drupal Twitter Module)

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 10:02:46 -0700

Howdy,

Not to interfere with the topic of the original thread, I am starting a
new thread here.

Niels Reedijk wrote:
> 2009/4/3 Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> Hi Sikosis,
>>
>> Sikosis wrote:
>>
>>> So, I guess this brings up a question ... I guess it's been discussed
>>> before ... why are we on version 5 of drupal when 6 is the latest ?
>>>

>> Because upgrades are not easy in Drupal, particularly given the number
>> of modules that our website relies on.
>>

> Not only the modules are a problem, but also the fact that Drupal 6
> uses a completely new theming system. We got away with upgrading to
> Drupal 5 reasonably easy, but Drupal 6 requires a whole new approach.
> The fact that this is a major operation also leads to another
> question, which is whether to combine the upgrade with a theme
> redesign.

If the availability of a good Drupal 6 theme makes it that much easier
to upgrade, then I would not mind undertaking doing a new theme for
Haiku. This may actually be a good thing in preparation for the upcoming
releases (maybe not alpha, but perhaps beta and final R1).

I have been doing quite a bit of Drupal development lately (mainly with
D6), so this is something that I think I can tackle and would actually
enjoy doing (much more than tweaking the existing theme which, being
based on a D4 theme, lacks support for a lot of theme-related features
Drupal has added in their latest releases).

Cheers,

Jorge