[haiku-web] Re: Reviewing/Updating/Combining howto guides for building/installing Haiku

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:03:00 -0700

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am not sure it is worth spending time on all those dated documents out
> there, Ryan's tutorial perhaps being the exception, as it has sort of
> become the de facto document that people use to cross-compile Haiku.

It has only become "defacto" because many use Ubuntu, and this guide
was the most recent written - but I have answered countless questions
in IRC regarding deviations of that environment such as 64bit ubuntu,
or other flavors of linux that don't have apt-get, etc. Likewise,
there is not yet a similar guide for building/installing Haiku from
within Haiku - which I think we should *definitely* provide now that
Haiku is capable of this feat.

Furthermore, some of the other guides are far easier to trip across
when trying to locate development information on the site - I had
someone point out that the SVN URLs in the node/163 are wrong, but I
haven't had time to fix those yet. If the only way to find the Ubuntu
guide is to use the search, or ask someone directly, then it seems we
are doing something wrong.

> How
> about an action plan, instead, that would actually move us in the
> direction that we want? For example (off the top of my head, as in not
> set in stone):
>
> 1) Agree on an outline of the documents to be included
> 2) Create a new content type (say, guide) to be used for these documents
> 3) Create dummy guide entries with title only
> 4) Start consolidating the content into dummy guides
> 5) Create "guide editor" role to assign to those who would want to
> contribute?
>
> When the new guides start taking shape, we can then reorganize the
> Documents page so that the guides take priority and we can also label
> the old documents as obsolete when/where needed.

Sounds like a reasonable plan.

I'd definitely like to see a better structure to the guide(s), rather
than a separate guide for each "building haiku on platform x" or
"installing haiku with platform x". Perhaps an overview of the various
tasks one might perform, with a drill-down into steps to perform for
each task, and from there, optional sub-content for the steps that are
platform-specific.

>> Frankly, the "create new realm" part is not something I have know-how
>> or time to accomplish right now - and I think the last email on that
>> thread more or less suggested that I do it.
>>

> Yeah, the "new realm" expression sounded more grandiose than intended.
> :) I think adding a new content type with its own path should be more
> than enough for this.
>
> So, I volunteer to do the Drupal backend stuff (create new content type,
> configure paths, create/assigns roles, etc.) and light editing here and
> there as times permits.
>
> Would this be an acceptable action plan?

I would certainly appreciate any assistance setting up a new content
type and reorganizing the site a bit.

I would prefer contributing to the content, personally, as that's more
along the lines of what I'm capable of at the moment.