[haiku-web] Re: Reviewing/Updating/Combining howto guides for building/installing Haiku

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 12:15:25 -0700

Urias McCullough wrote:
>> What I meant to say is that we all know the state of our documentation,
>> and we already have a good idea of what we want to do (that came about
>> through long past discussions on this list as well as on IRC). When we
>> had the last discussion on this list, I thought we had a basic
>> agreement, which I will list:
>>
>> - Keep existing docs where they are
>> - Create new realm for a well defined scope of new docs meant to be well
>> maintained (quality over quantity)
>> - Use wiki-style processes and rules
>>
>> If we do have this basic agreement, why don't we just move to implement
>> this and start consolidating the docs there as we see fit?
>>

> Well, I guess my original email here was twofold: get a full list of
> all the documents I think we need to 1) review and update for correct
> information and 2) eventually consolidate into a better system of
> guides.
>
> Even before we have a place to work on #2, we can still work on #1 (as
> you have been doing with the "building on ubuntu step by step"
> tutorial that Ryan wrote).

I am not sure it is worth spending time on all those dated documents out
there, Ryan's tutorial perhaps being the exception, as it has sort of
become the de facto document that people use to cross-compile Haiku. How
about an action plan, instead, that would actually move us in the
direction that we want? For example (off the top of my head, as in not
set in stone):

1) Agree on an outline of the documents to be included
2) Create a new content type (say, guide) to be used for these documents
3) Create dummy guide entries with title only
4) Start consolidating the content into dummy guides
5) Create "guide editor" role to assign to those who would want to
contribute?

When the new guides start taking shape, we can then reorganize the
Documents page so that the guides take priority and we can also label
the old documents as obsolete when/where needed.

> Frankly, the "create new realm" part is not something I have know-how
> or time to accomplish right now - and I think the last email on that
> thread more or less suggested that I do it.

Yeah, the "new realm" expression sounded more grandiose than intended.
:) I think adding a new content type with its own path should be more
than enough for this.

So, I volunteer to do the Drupal backend stuff (create new content type,
configure paths, create/assigns roles, etc.) and light editing here and
there as times permits.

Would this be an acceptable action plan?

Cheers,

Jorge