[haiku-development] Re: Word-wise jumping with CTRL in BTextView

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 14:43:58 -0500

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Juha-Jarmo Heinonen <o@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 26.11.2012, at 18.02, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> In Mail, I would argue, changing the reply level isn't used that often and
>>> surely a different, sufficiently intuitive shortcut could be found.
>>
>> Cmd-[ and Cmd-] are used in some text editors on other platforms for
>> instance to change the indentation level, so that could also be used
>> here. Though as I recall [ and ] aren't easily gotten to on a German
>> keymap.

I see Command+[ and Command_] as an acceptable and commonly used
alternative for indenting quote levels in Mail for the US keymap, I
don't know about German keymap though. There are compromises either
way; IMHO I don't think we should take international keymaps into
account here because there is going to be a problem for x locale no
matter what we choose. Users of those locales are probably used to
switching between US and their local to get to those keys anyway or
using the menu command.

Command+[ and Command+] are more than likely known to people who use
text editors (developers mostly) and probably also correlates to those
who want a shortcut to indent and de-indent pieces of mail message so
I guess this would be a nice alternative.

>> As for the overall discussion, I do think it is good to try to make it
>> easier for "converts" to use Haiku, but I also think we shouldn't
>> compromise too much just to appease such users. When trying a new
>> system sometimes you have to learn a few different ways of working.
>> Plus if Haiku just becomes a copy of other systems it loses some
>> reason for existing. We should try to improve where we can without
>> being so "different" that it becomes difference for difference's sake.
>> I think overall we have successfully balanced this.

I agree with the sentiment here of catering to Win/Linux users but
also agree that Control is the more standard thing
_for_Haiku/BeOS_users_ so this is a case where we should not cater to
Windows/Linux users. It's a tough problem and if there can be some
solution that satisfies both audiences like the one Oliver proposed
above that would be great.

I'd also like to see Control+tab and Control+` duplicated as
Command+tab and Command+`. I see it as an extension of the same
problem we are talking about here. Command is the logical choice but
Control is used instead to cater to Windows users who switch Control
and Command because Alt+tab is used on Windows so let's do both and
then everyone is happy (more-or-less).

>> Lastly I'm with Ingo on the customizable shortcuts idea, though I
>> think he and I (and others) have had that idea in our heads for a
>> while. It just isn't trivial to implement well, which is why it hasn't
>> been done yet

Everyone want this, but it is a lot of work and IMHO not a holdup for
R1, more a nice-to-have than a need-to-have.

> Cmd-Shift and Cmd-Opt(Alt) arrows left/right are the common tab switching
> shortcuts in OS X. The latter was common until Apple started using the
> former. IMO, apps with text editing fields shouldn't bind any single
> modifier+arrow key to anything except cursor movement. Also, shift to extend
> the selection, which is why Cmd-Alt would be the only sane option in a text
> editor and wouldn't hurt to be standard across the system.

This is not really true, Command + numbers (Command + 1, Command + 2,
etc.) is just as often used for tab switching on Mac OS X. Personally
I prefer this over Command+arrows because Command+left/right arrows is
used for home/end. Unfortunately there is some overload, especially in
browsers.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what Mac OS X does because we're not Mac OS X :).

My vote is for BTextView's to use Control for word-wise jumping and
Option for sub-word wise jumping like Pe (I can dream) while reserving
Command for application use.

Oliver's idea of using both Control and Command unless Command is used
for something else by the app in question seems like it could be a
nice compromise though.