[haiku-development] Re: Word-wise jumping with CTRL in BTextView

  • From: Axel DÃrfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 20:32:09 +0100

Hi Humdinger,

On 11/23/2012 03:21 PM, Humdinger wrote:
On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 22:24:32 +0100 Axel DÃrfler wrote:
True. But it would still eliminate all CMD+cursor commands like in
Mail or Vision.
Sure, but those happen to be open source applications that can be
fixed.
Well, the fix would mean replacing an intuitive shortcut, CMD+cursor,
with something less intuitive.

Exactly :-)
What would be wrong with Option-left/right instead?

Out of curiosity: what is Mail doing for Command-left/right?
De-/increasing quote level when you write/reply to an email.

Ah right, how could I forget about this (thanks Clemens!).

Huh? I see no way how you could come to this conclusion. It's
annoying, and that's why it should stay that way?
Hmmm. Before Oliver's change CMD+cursor would go back/forward, while
CTRL+cursor would word-jump (if Web+ supported that, which it very
sadly doesn't). Now CMD+cursor will word-jump and a new shortcut will
have to be found for back/forward.

Why? In browsers on other platforms a focused text view eats cmd+left/right, but only as long as it is focused.

We'll have to change all commands to not include the cursor keys, as
that does the word-jumping now. I find that a big limitation to please
the CMD/CTRL switcher.

Sure, that's one argument that stands against it: hampering with the muscle memory of the long time user.

the risk of unintentionally losing focus. [...]
What do you mean by that?
I wrote that thinking of keeping CMD+cursor for back/forward in a
browser. In case a text field had focus, with Oliver's change,
CMD+curser would word-jump. No problem until you accidentally lose that
focus and CMD+cursor has the browser go back/forward again.

FWIW I never had this problem on other platforms, but yes, it's not the perfect solution.

In Mail the text has always the focus, so CMD+cursor would always word-
jump now.

Yes, but as written above, that could be fixed.

Well, one could see CMD+C/V/X still as being commands to the app
that interact with the system's clipboard...
I really can't follow that line of thought :-)
[...]
And I say, CMD+C/V/X are perceived as commands to the app to copy/paste
to clipboard. They are even mentioned in most apps' "Edit" menus.

But that menu entry is not necessarily copying/pasting/cutting from a text control. It might just paste a bitmap into a WonderBrush document, but it does not behave that way when the text control to change a property has focus.
How is that different to the suggested change (once it would be completed)?

It's all the fault of Windows, of course. Wouldn't they stuff cursor
CONTROL like word-jumping onto the same modifier that issues COMMANDS,
we wouldn't be in this mess. Unfortunately, we currently bend backwards
to accommodate the switchers. We'll remove CMD+curser menu items where
they were very intuitive. Maybe it's because I spent most of my
computing time in BeOS/Haiku for over 10 years, but it does rankle.
Quite a bit.

Well, nothing is set into stone yet.

Bye,
   Axel.