[haiku-development] Re: Word-wise jumping with CTRL in BTextView

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 23:03:18 +0100

On 11/23/2012 03:21 PM, Humdinger wrote:
It's all the fault of Windows, of course. Wouldn't they stuff cursor
CONTROL like word-jumping onto the same modifier that issues COMMANDS,
we wouldn't be in this mess.

The argument could be made that Command should be the modifier that can be reached most conveniently. And since word-wise jumping is a common activity in text views it would also make sense to use the very same key for it.

Anyway, this is really a matter of individual preference and the only good solution is to allow all global and application specific shortcuts to be customized. Ideally even per keyboard -- e.g. on my Kinesis keyboard I would want Option to do word-wise and Command subword-wise jumping while I'd prefer Command or Control to do the word-wise jumping on a regular keyboard.

> Unfortunately, we currently bend backwards
to accommodate the switchers. We'll remove CMD+curser menu items where
they were very intuitive.

In Mail, I would argue, changing the reply level isn't used that often and surely a different, sufficiently intuitive shortcut could be found.

CU, Ingo