[haiku-development] Re: Word-wise jumping with CTRL in BTextView

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 22:56:52 +0100

Hi,

On 2012-11-17 at 18:02:35 [+0100], Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hullo!
>
> Oliver recently changed the word-wise jumping from CMD to CTRL, see
> [1].
>
> I'm not sure I'm fond of it. In my mind CMD is used to issue app
> specific commands. Controling the cursor position seems to be a fine
> job for CTRL. There's also fewer chances to clash with apps' commands,
> like currently in Mail. If Web+ should gain word-wise jumping (a feature
> I sorely miss), it'll clash with going back/forward in history. Terminal
> is now inconsistent as it's still using CTRL+cursor.
>
> What were the reasons for this change, and should it maybe be reverted?

The aim of this change was to provide consistency with other systems, such that
in
Windows/Linux keymap mode wordwise navigation works just like it does in
Windows &
Linux, i.e. triggered by the CTRL key.

I was going to adjust Terminal accordingly, but obviously lost track of that,
which
I am going to fix should when we have reached some form of consensus.

Concerning the clashes with existing application shortcuts, this is just a bug
in
the implementation - the idea was to let BTextview activate the shortcut only
temporarily when it has focus, but some part of that doesn't work quite right.

Concerning Web+, wordwise navigation makes sense in editable textviews only,
i.e.
the location control, so I don't think it is much of a loss if the menu entry
for
moving back/forward in the history is overruled while the location control has
focus.

cheers,
    Oliver