[haiku-development] Re: Handling Application Preferences and About in a common way

  • From: David Given <dg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 00:05:58 +0000

On 23/11/12 20:38, John Scipione wrote:
[...]
> The application icon sends the right message, as would the
> application's name "Tracker" as would the word "Application". The app
> icon has the benefit of being more compact, although I'm not sure that
> compactness is really needed.

I should point out that one of the biggest reactions I get when I show
people Haiku is 'oh my god! I know how to use this! Everything's where I
expect it to be!'.

As such I would suggest having that first menu called 'File' --- yes, I
know it makes absolutely no sense abstraction-wise, but people still
instinctively look for it, even in an application which doesn't use
files. An application without File looks weird and alien.

(And, yes, the second menu should be 'Edit'.)

The standard places I've seen for a Preferences menu item is on File or
Edit. The standard place for About is either on File or Help. I agree
that Haiku should make things as consistent as possible, but moving away
from the de-facto UI standards is something that should be done with
great caution --- look what it did to Gnome (and Metro)...

--
ââââ ïïïïïïïïïïïïïï âââââ http://www.cowlark.com âââââ
â "Of course, on a sufficiently small planet, 40 km/hr is, in fact,