[haiku-development] Re: Set a custom icon for a BAlert

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 12:27:30 -0400

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 12:19 PM, pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 11:35:35AM -0400, Ryan Leavengood wrote:
>> So to bring this back to the discussion at hand, showing the version
>> of applications (at least some of the "major ones") in about boxes is
>> a viable reason to have at least some individual about boxes, since
>> IMO the version of these applications should not necessarily be tied
>> to Haiku's version.
>
> Wait, isn't that the work of the package manager app ?

Sometimes you can make the life of the user easier rather than forcing
"anything must only be done in one way." Not that we want 10 different
places to check a package version and look for updates, but within the
app and within a package manager app is reasonable in my opinion.

> Back on topic: rather than allowing any icon in BAlerts, I'd keep them
> to the standard ones, and add the icon in the dedicated about box API,
> which happens to look like (and inherit from) BAlert right now, but
> could be changed to something else and get a different look. I'd make
> the icon a lot bigger, something like 128x128 or even more.

I like that idea.

--
Regards,
Ryan