[haiku-development] Re: Set a custom icon for a BAlert

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 14:41:16 -0400

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Ryan Leavengood wrote:

>> > I thought we were removing about boxes...
>>
>> Yes I believe at one point there was discussion of that, but frankly I
>> think it is a bad idea. Sure in some cases about boxes are just a
>> hard-to-maintain list of who worked on it, but they can and should
>> also provide some other useful information. BApplication has an entire
>> method dedicated to showing the about box so I think not having them
>> in included Haiku applications is bad form.
>
> FWIW I disagree for reasons already discussed at length in an older thread.

Reading the linked thread, I don't really understand why we should get
rid of About Dialogs in system apps, but we should get rid of Authors
names from the about dialogs.

> Regarding the API extension, that would be OK IMO, though generally I find
> that this kind of extension scales better by providing setter methods instead.

Most of the time I agree with you here... although this seems like a
special case because you either want to specify a constant like
B_IDEA_ICON or a bitmap to the constructor but not both. The SetIcon()
method would happen after the fact.