[haiku-development] Re: Set a custom icon for a BAlert

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 20:29:28 +0200

Hi!

On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 12:12:56 -0400 Ryan Leavengood wrote:
> > I thought we were removing about boxes...
>
> Yes I believe at one point there was discussion of that,

It's here [1].

> but frankly I
> think it is a bad idea. Sure in some cases about boxes are just a
> hard-to-maintain list of who worked on it, but they can and should
> also provide some other useful information. BApplication has an entire
> method dedicated to showing the about box so I think not having them
> in included Haiku applications is bad form.

I makes sense for 3rd party applications to show the author, website
and version. For Haiku provided apps, the author list may become very
long over time and is redundant to AboutSystem. The version reflects
the currently run version of Haiku, also the same as in AboutSystem.
And the website is always haiku-os.org which the the user should know
already, besides it's also in AboutSystem...

So, for 3rd party apps, I'm happy to see About-alerts sporting the
app's icon. For Haiku apps (besides for their Replicants) I don't see
the need to reintroduce "About" menus.

Regards,
Humdinger

[1]