[haiku-development] Re: Set a custom icon for a BAlert

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 20:29:00 +0200

On 02.08.2012 18:55, Ryan Leavengood wrote:
On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Maybe an About dialog isn't that useless after all...

Certainly at least to indicate what is a Haiku project provided
application (I'm not using the word "included" since as you say things
get muddled with package management.) Also it may make sense to have
individual version numbers for applications since they may be updated
independently in the future. I could certainly see WebPositive, maybe
ShowImage, the Debugger and probably more being like this.

I don't see why they would need to be released independently. If you want bleeding edge, you'd probably just say to, and differentiate your Haiku version by revision number (ie. that would be the unstable channel).

If we backport things into an older release branch, we would still need to do a point release of some sorts to get it out of the door (including new test cycle, etc.).

Also we could consider adding a "Add Bug For This Application" button
in the about boxes which opens the Haiku bug tracker with a new ticket
with that application preset as the Component (assuming Trac supports
that.)

Sure, that would be a reason to have about dialogs. Just in case we decide to get them back one day, we should still omit the authors from the dialog then. In any case, I think package management is indeed a good argument for getting them back.

Bye,
   Axel.