[haiku-development] Re: Ready to go for R1/Alpha4 yet?

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2012 10:42:39 +0200

On 05.08.2012 09:45, pulkomandy wrote:
Anyway, I think we do need a mail client of some sort in our releases,
it is as important as the web browser. It could be Beam, or an older
version of MDR that works better, or something else.

If we intend to keep MDR (which I personally favor as a solution), it should be part of the next release as well. As long as we don't get IMAP stable until then (which I personally doubt), I agree with Ingo that we should revert the MDR changes in the release branch.

> I think the idea
was to remove MDR and use an IMAP filesystem at some point, right ?

Not really; it was being discussed if IMAP couldn't better be implemented as a file system; that would not have meant a removal of the MDR, though.

> This
would make it easier to understand: the mailbox is shown as a volume on
the desktop, what's inside is in sync with your remote mailbox, what's
out of it is on your hard drive. You can copy a mail locally, delete it
from the mailbox, and so on. We'd still need the mail daemon to send
mails, I guess ?

And for POP3 and managing the account data, yes.
In any case, I'm not a fan of having an IMAP file system (I just don't see any advantage of doing so, it makes things just much more complicated). What I'm "currently" doing with IMAP is to reimplement the protocol in a better, more compliant way, I have no intentions to work towards it being in a file system.

Bye,
   Axel.