[haiku-development] Re: Ready to go for R1/Alpha4 yet?

  • From: Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 08:49:31 -0700 (PDT)

Quoth pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

> Given the lack of progress on the IMAP rewrite, I guess the best
> solution for now is a huge red text warning in the release notes, and a
> pointer to Beam.

Might be better to disable IMAP support?

I use my own IMAP client and am frankly afraid to start up the mail
daemon, but just from reading the README - you can trash your IMAP
folder by doing something to your disk files?  <hair-raising emoticon>

Even if the README is fiction and the mail daemon does not support
a bi-directional correspondence between disk and IMAP folders, just
the general notion that Haiku should provide a one-size-fits-all IMAP
client as one of its service daemons is (in my opinion) going to be
a legacy that you will regret forever.  IMAP service is too complex
and application-dependent.  You gave it a good shot; maybe now is the
time to call this experiment a noble effort and see if we can get by
without IMAP support in the OS.

        Donn