[haiku-development] Re: Ready to go for R1/Alpha4 yet?

  • From: pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 17:52:50 +0200

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:21:59AM +0100, Alex Smith wrote:
> For my project at least it would probably be better to wait until after
> Alpha 4 to merge it. Though I've done my best to check changes that I've
> made, I've touched quite a lot of code and made some fairly significant
> changes to the boot loader and x86 kernel code. It's possible that a few
> bugs have crept in so waiting until after A4 would avoid the possibility of
> adding bugs to the release.

The purpose of alphas is getting new code some exposure and gathering
user reports about it, so actually it couldbe a good idea to merge
x86_64 in before the release.

However, it's been a year since the last release, and people want some
more stable release to work on. Maybe we should make a DR (developer
release) with stable things, and make another alpha with all the new
changes merged in ?

I think as long as we try to make *alpha* releases stable, we will have
trouble releasing anything. If we want to make stable releases, then
call them DR or something similar that better represents what they
actually are, and put everyone in the mindset for it.

--
Adrien.