[haiku-development] Re: Porting Haiku to a current PowerPC hardware

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 14:45:02 +0200

On 18/04/2012 09:42, Philippe Ferrucci wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 2 years ago, I wrote here to find someone to port Haiku to a PowerPC platform.
> Unfortunately it didn't work out. Maybe it was not the right moment.
>

> I now try again as I really want to use Haiku on my main machine.
>
> I would like to offer the opportunity to give Haiku more visibility in
> today computing market. I am looking for someone to port Haiku to this
> PowerPC machine: http://www.acube-systems.biz/index.php?page=hardware&pid=5

I believe I was the one to contact them in the first place ;-)

> And I'm willing to pay for such job! I am not a company I cannot give millions
> but several hundreds dollars yes :-)
>
> I know that some work have been done to port Haiku to PPC MACs so I hope
> porting to this motherboard will not be too difficult.

The PPC port isn't maintained actively but at least it gets some build
fixes.
At least the 440 is not 64bit so this point can be left out for now
(unlike x-1000).

> Another great benefit for Haiku is that ACube Systems could sell their
> computer with Haiku pre-installed. This will show Haiku to a wider
> audience and it can be a nice move for the system.
>
> Anyone up to the task?

Well, I have some other ports on my TODO list, but since we regularly
meet in person it's probably simpler if I just do it :D

François.