[haiku-development] Re: Porting Haiku to a current PowerPC hardware

  • From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 07:03:42 -0500

Am 18. April 2012 09:42 schrieb Philippe Ferrucci <pferrucci@xxxxxx [4]>:

Hello,

2 years ago, I wrote here to find someone to port Haiku to a PowerPC platform.
Unfortunately it didn't work out. Maybe it was not the right moment.

I now try again as I really want to use Haiku on my main machine.

I would like to offer the opportunity to give Haiku more visibility in
today computing market. I am looking for someone to port Haiku to this
PowerPC machine: http://www.acube-systems.biz/index.php?page=hardware&pid=5 [1]

And I'm willing to pay for such job! I am not a company I cannot give millions
but several hundreds dollars yes :-)

I know that some work have been done to port Haiku to PPC MACs so I hope
porting to this motherboard will not be too difficult.

Another great benefit for Haiku is that ACube Systems could sell their
computer with Haiku pre-installed. This will show Haiku to a wider
audience and it can be a nice move for the system.

Anyone up to the task?

On 18.04.2012 03:17, Ralf Schülke wrote:
Raspberry Pi = 30 €

http://www.raspberrypi.org/ [3]

stargater

+1.

My Pi shows up in two days ^_^

I definitely think the PowerPC port is still very valid. However the market for it is shrinking as more and more of these old Apple PowerPC machines become abandoned.

I've noticed the earlier machines such as quicksilver working forever, and the newer machines such as the imac+ having huge reliability issues into their old age (leaking water coolers on G5's, popping capacitors on isight macs, lifting BGA
solder connections on ibooks and isight GPU's)

While there are rouge PowerPC machines out there that are really cool, such as the
one you mentioned, they are cost prohibitive.

The PowerPC port is really close to functional, I think the last big item was
PowerPC PCI support.

http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/1048

Good luck. I do hope this pans out! :)

 -- Alex