[haiku-development] Re: Porting Haiku to a current PowerPC hardware

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 16:55:59 +0200

Hello,

Am 24.04.2010 um 20:52 schrieb Philippe Ferrucci:

I would like to offer the opportunity to give Haiku more visibility in today computing market.
I am looking for someone to port Haiku to this PowerPC machine:
http://www.acube-systems.biz/index.php?page=hardware&pid=2

And I'm willing to pay for such job! :-)

I know that some work have been done to port Haiku to PPC MACs so I hope porting to this motherboard will not be too difficult.

I'm not taking either, though I'm one of those occasionally working on the ppc Mac port. I guess that anyone considering your offer will need a little more information on what's involved.

For instance, am I understanding correctly that the board does not feature an IEEE 1275 Open Firmware [1]? It mentions UBoot [2] instead. So it needs a completely new boot loader, duplicating the existing unfinished efforts?

Is the 440ep a single-core CPU? I saw an 8-core e500ec [3] at Embedded World and thought it would be interesting, but the pricing made that much less so. ;)

Seriously, the problems we're facing are occasional kernel load failures [4] as well as MMU problems at various boot stages [5, 6]. And QEMU w/OpenBIOS has been unable to emulate it. Nor is there any graphics support yet that I'm aware of.

But I don't want to discourage anyone, these challenges are definitely solvable since Linux runs on both Macs and 440 boards. :) There's even a KVM for 440 [7], so it may be virtualizable.

Regards,
Andreas

[1] http://www.openfirmware.info/
[2] http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot