[haiku-development] Re: A tale of two accelerant API's

  • From: Juha-Jarmo Heinonen <o@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 19:42:19 +0200

On 2013-02-12, at 3.41, looncraz <looncraz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Honestly, though, with the price of computers, this is really only mostly
> useful for libraries, businesses, and schools - and then that would also
> require them to actually use Haiku, LOL!

I don't think it's even as much about the price of the computer as the space it
occupies and the electricity they use that is the current (and future to some)
situation. I think the stationary computers will become practically "the
digital hubs" for real; devices that do all the things tables/phones don't do
because of their form-factor or limited storage.
The smartphones and tablets become/became the actual personal computer, and
many families often still have just a single, shared stationary computer that
people take turns on using. Allowing extra kb/mouse/display sets would be a
good thing for these. Another matter is what else will be needed to get these
people switched to Haiku from OS X, Linux and Windows.
It's already possible to set up a Linux machine like that, but the issue is
mainly the complexity/difficulty/lack of good documentation of doing so there.
It's pretty hard for beginners to even get a single-user Linux setup configured
properly.