[haiku-development] Re: A tale of two accelerant API's

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 14:30:07 -0800

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 2:04 PM,  <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'm thinking multi-user and I can't fathom why anyone would ever want
>> that. Can someone enlighten me?
>
> Two users at the same time, on the same computer, using different monitors
> and mouses but sharing the video card. I'd say that's an unlikely situation,
> however.

Indeed - this concept was proposed many years ago when the Haiku
app_server was being developed.

The concept is that computers are powerful enough and expandable
enough now that one computer with a multi-monitor video card, and
several USB keyboards/mice could potentially allow multiple people to
independently use it at the same time.

Think of a "family computer" for example, where there are say 2 or 3
separate "KVM" seats at a table - they could each sit down and use the
computer without affecting each other's sessions. This would
essentially be a real multi-user system, which Haiku is not, yet.

Such a setup could provide some interesting super-low-latency, high
bandwidth multiuser applications as well. Imagine, for example,
multi-user audio/video realtime editing/manipulation using a single
machine...

I believe there are already some linux projects that do this, but I
don't remember any off the top of my head.

- Urias