[haiku-development] Re: A tale of two accelerant API's

  • From: looncraz <looncraz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 15:26:51 -0800

On 2/12/2013 14:48, Pete Goodeve wrote:
But isn't the significant point that for the forseeable future a display is going to be connected to its GPU by physical wire? So it's more likely that the central machine will not be displaying much at all. The tablet or whatever will be generating the video pretty much by itself, for its user only.

If you actually wanted the apps running on the main computer, and the tablet merely displaying the interface and results, then the main computer would need to treat each device as an input and output and would still need to tell the tablet what to render. This model is just silly to me ;-)

I think it is more likely that tablets and the like will remain self-contained units which will access files via a network connection or similar port-like interface and the main computer will begin to host numerous interface points in the home... just like we do today.

A centralized home computer is becoming increasingly likely - but that is very much hardware dependent... and Haiku is in no position to push the boundaries of technology, merely to try and predict them... or react to them. It is still Microsoft's game - and they are going in a different direction - one where computers are cheap and plentiful, and each machine uses its own software and each user has their own machine...

This mates up close with 1st world reality... but it ends there

When we have wireless displays which have speakers and input (touch, most likely, possibly with a physical keyboard connected by wireless or USB to the display) then Haiku will want to be able to connect to those devices and treat them either as a cloned unit, or as an independent user session... Then you could have one computer for the house / school room / library, and multiple heads with which users interact. I think this is a decade or more off... wireless bandwidth is drying up quickly and displays are very bandwidth heavy... though there is nothing stopping someone from developing cheap fiber-optic cabling to run the displays and having this go mainstream...oh, except Microsoft again... since the hardware makers usually must follow their lead.

--The loon