[haiku-development] Re: A tale of two accelerant API's

  • From: looncraz <looncraz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 01:05:40 -0800

On 1/31/2013 23:52, Fredrik Modéen wrote:
Byt what drivers do we need to have old version for?

I think the idea is to create a new accelerant API besides the current one so that drivers can be updated as time / interest allows.

I, for one, would like to see accelerants offer a few specific features:

(in no particular order...)
1. Accelerated color-space conversions  YUV->RGB RGB->YUV, etc...
2. Direct bitmap rendering (including alpha blending)
3. Integrated concept of window buffers for compositing
-> the buffer could be in either system or video RAM depending on update rate **compositing a buffer which in vram is much faster, but rendering into it is slower **so the app_server would render locally and determine if he buffer should be
** cached in vram for compositing
4. Facilities to cache cursors in VRAM for fast switching.
5. Ability to request a block of mmap`d VRAM for whatever purpose ;-)
6. Multi-head support (as already mentioned by Axel)
7. And, of course, all of the basic operations...