[haiku-development] Re: 64 bit

  • From: pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 14:14:23 +0200

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 04:44:53AM -0700, James Leone wrote:
> > Well, that's questionning the essence of the Haiku project. The main
> > goal of the project is "writing an open source binary compatible
> replacement for BeOS R5".
>
> I know for an absolute fact that the corporate charter and stated
> charitable purpose, when the application for non profit status was
> submitted was:
>
> To create a user friendly desktop operating system.

I can't find the words "friendly desktop operating system" in the
Haiku, Inc. certificate of incorporation:
http://www.haiku-inc.org/documents/haiku-inc_NY-DOS-Certificate-of-Incorporation-p1-of-3.jpg
http://www.haiku-inc.org/documents/haiku-inc_NY-DOS-Certificate-of-Incorporation-p2-of-3.jpg
http://www.haiku-inc.org/documents/haiku-inc_NY-DOS-Certificate-of-Incorporation-p3-of-3.jpg

Haiku, Inc. purpose is intentionally worded in generic terms to let the
Haiku Project (through developpers discussions and votes on this very
list) decide where the project should go. So I don't know where you got
that "friendly desktop operating system" from?

> That clearly is not the primary goal of the project now. The primary goal
> cleatly has become to follow a plan that, as is clear from these
> conversations, a large portion of desktop users are actually adverse to.

We have seen maybe a dozen users raise concerns, some of them not even
strictly adverse to the plan, just questionning it. I think this is not
a large portion.

--
Adrien.