[guispeak] Re: SBC Yahoo! DSL Accessibility

  • From: "Laura Eaves" <leaves1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:29:59 -0500

Have you tried using the mouse cursor to get to a button or other control,
then routing PC to jaws and see if that fixes the problem?
Sometimes I run into this type of problem when starting a new app -- jaws
simply gets stuck at the top, and I have to do this routing to get it off
its original position.
After that it works better, but of course I don't know about the app you are
running.
Hope you get it working!
Oh but I have a question: Why do you need to install anything to use the
DSL? Just do a little fiddling with your internet connections, get rid of
the dialups, or else just disable the modem, and use the ethernet or
wireless network to connect.
Also, if you have never used broadband, I would definitely recommend getting
a firewall.  The reason is that you are suddenly online all the time, on a
fixed IP address, and so snooping programs on the server can sniff you out
and install all kinds of malware on your system quite easily. With dialup
this is less of a problem since you are online for short intervals, and also
you have a different IP address each time you dial up.
So be sure to get or enable your firewall.
There is one turned on by default in XP SP12.
Also, if your family has a wireless router, that hardware has a builtin
firewall and so all the computers on the wireless network in your house are
protected, but of course, you should also have a software firewall enabled
on your own PC in case there is spyware running on your system that
initiates connections from the inside to transmit personal information and
activity logs, etc.
This really happens.
Hope you have good virus protection and there are lots of spyware killers
and programs that prevent spyware from being installed from web pages.
In fact, coincidentally today I just downloaded spybot and other spyware
killers and ran scans and immunized my new system.
It actually found a bunchof suspicious keys in my registry and activity logs
from known untrusted sites in my cookie folder.
But thankfully it didn't find any running spyware...
Anyway, hope this helps.
Do you have to use a special yahoo email program with this? or can you just
use the one you are used to, only connecting to DSL instead of the phone
modem?
Just wondering.
I actually have cable modem for my broadband so have never used DSL.
Good luck.
--le