[guispeak] Re: SBC Yahoo! DSL Accessibility

  • From: gerald.g.weichbrodt@xxxxxx
  • To: guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:19:17 -0500

Hi folks,
I'm going to have to admit that I sort of punted on this one.  I have
sighted family members around, and we worked together to install the
software.  Good thing, too, because there was tons of stuff written on the
screen in the way of license agreement verbage.

OK, so we cut to the chase and say that the software's installed, the
modem's on, and we're ready to go.  The final result is terrific, based on
a relatively short time of trying it.  As well, I have used various
"standard" Internet applications over the connection as well as America On
Line, and everything works very fast and effectively.  One little annoyance
is that the Yahoos at Yahoo! seem to have hijacked my browser, and they did
so in such a way that Internet Explorer didn't offer to take the default
browser role back when I launched it even though I had the checkmark
checked to have Internet Explorer check if it was the default browser.  I'm
currently fiddling around in the file extension assignments available in
Windows Explorer with the hope that I can manually force Internet Explorer
to take charge of everything again.  Even so, I'm sufficiently convinced
that Internet Explorer works fine over the connection that this business of
which browser is "top dog" is just a pesky annoyance I can deal with in the
long run--even if it means uninstalling SBC's nasty little creation.

Oh yes, I should mention that the SBC/Yahoo browser is *not* a chile of
Internet Explorer.  So far as I can tell, it's just a big accessibility
pain and not worth messing with.  They also installed Yahoo! Messenger, and
I have no idea whether it's anything like accessible or not.  I don't know
anybody who uses it, so, if it proves inaccessible, I'm probably not going
to lose sleep over it but will just chuck the thing anf free up some more
disk space.

In summary:  If you just ignore the inaccessible software that tends to be
plunked on your computer, the actual service seems very effective.  I
downloaded the 19 megabyte Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 in a matter of seconds,
and I don't usually get that good throughput at work over our gonzo
high-speed connection! I also *really* like being able to use the Internet
without tying up the phone line.  We've already had both a voice call going
on and Internet activity with no problem keeping both functions separated
and functioning.  It's fascinating to plug a telephone into the unfiltered
phone connection, listen to all the DSL modem racket, and then plug in a
filter and have all that noise just disappear.

Regards,
Jerry