[gmpi] Re: Where are we?: 7.1.2/Untangling issues

  • From: "Ron Kuper" <ronkuper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:05:03 -0400

> 1 - For each of the areas GMPI is intended to address, what sample
> data types are currently appropriate?  (Make no attempt to reduce the
> set, just list them.)

DAW/music production:
- Int16, Int24, Int32, variations of Int24 unpacked in Int32, Float16,
Float32

I don't know enough about handheld or cell phone platform to list data types
pertinent to those.

> 2 - For each of the areas GMPI is intended to address, what sample
> data types are reasonably foreseeable in the next (say) four years?
> (Make no attempt to reduce the set, just list them.)

DAW/music production:
- Float64, PWM (? whatever that 1 bit format is called)

> 3 - For each of the areas GMPI is intended to address, are multiple
> sample data types within a single graph required?

Yes.

> 4 - For each of the areas GMPI is intended to address, are multiple
> sample data type pins per plug required?

No.

> 5 - In the (likely) event that the set of areas GMPI is intended to
> address has sufficiently different data type requirements as to make
> supporting all of them too cumbersome or expensive (in the opinion of
> enough developers), is it necessary to do anything in the official
> documents to keep any of the areas separated from the other, for
> either technical or marketing or other reasons?

Yes.

> 6 - If the answer to 5 is Yes, then how, exactly, should the official
> documents achieve this separation?  (E.g., with technical API-level
> measures?; with technical option(parameter)-limiting measures?; with
> industry-consensus or market mechanisms?; on a per-project basis?; or
> through some combination of these?)

The spec should at a minimum give some guidance that different platforms and
applications drift towards their "natural" data types, eg, float for a DAW.

Need to think about this some more.