[gmpi] Re: Where are we?: 7.1.2/Untangling issues

  • From: "B.J. Buchalter" <bj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:57:46 -0400

on 6/18/03 10:24 AM, Steve Harris at S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 09:47:27AM -0400, B.J. Buchalter wrote:
>> We have not tested the modular synth type of graph, so I am not really
>> speaking to that specific operation but I have tested things like IIR filter
>> implementations where I can measure significant differences in noise floor
>> structure and in listening tests that has a real impact on the sound (the 64
>> bit implementation is smoother and other weird subjective kind of words). So
>
> Yes, I'd agree with that entirely, but GMPI is not indended to support
> blockless or recusive processing models, so that is a non issue. The
> intermal procision can be whatever you like, its just the external i/o
> were discussing here.

I understand. Again, there are claims of the need. I am not sure that it is
needed (by me), but I have seen signal processing chains that do need it
(internally in our plugs), so I am not willing to dismiss it out of hand.

There are systems today that currently implement wide I/O (Sonic Solutions,
for example).

Best regards,

B.J. Buchalter

Metric Halo
M/S 601 - Building 8
Castle Point Campus
Castle Point, NY 12511-0601 USA
tel +1 845 831-8600
fax +1 603 250-2451

If you haven't heard ChannelStrip yet, you don't know what you're missing!

Check out SpectraFoo, ChannelStrip and Mobile I/O at http://www.mhlabs.com/

Download a 12 day demo from <http://www.mhlabs.com/demo/>