[gmpi] Re: Where are we?: 7.1.2/Untangling issues

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 20:43:27 -0700

Paul said:

>I see the questions as the following. Q's 1-4 collect the data, 5
makes a decision, 6 & 7 cover how we address the decision outcome (I
think we could just as well have asked 1-5 for the multichannel audio
formats too).

i think this is a good list, with one caveat.

(more or less) everybody on this list knows that there is a gap,
sometimes sizeable and sometimes smaller, between "requirements"
driven by marketing concerns and "requirements" driven by
technological considerations.

my interest in the GMPI process will be greatly diminished if our
"requirements" end up including stuff that is truthfully associated
with marketing rather than technology. a plugin API that permits
developers to make some particular claim about their code as a way to
differentiate it from that of everybody else using the same API: this
is not a good outcome from my POV.

so i think that in answering these questions, we need to be very, very
clear where a particular "requirement" originates. genuine
technological concerns need to be addressed; marketing hype should
not, i hope, play much of a role in our discussions. this means, in
very down to earth terms, that issues with hardware capabilities,
verifiable performance cost/benefit analyses, and so forth should be
very much central to the answers, whereas hand waving claims about
specific attributes of particular data types should not.

i hope that sounds agnostic enough.

--p

It's a good comment. Though I think it rather needs to be left to those in the business of selling hosts and plug-ins to make their own statements about how much or little impact market issues should vs. does have on the requirements. It's a group process, after all, and if enough commercial developers as a group say something, the group wouldn't necessarily be free to disregard it just because it's illogical. ;-)

-- Chris G.