[gmpi] Re: Where are we?: 7.1.2

  • From: "Jeff McClintock" <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:48:14 +1200

> Let me ask this:  Does ANYONE feel it is necessary to support more than
one
> datatype in the graph at one time?

Sounds reasonable.

>On the one hand we have profiles

Is a "Profile" just an extra layer of abstraction?, are we really talking
about "Datatypes"?

I was thinking about this....

Profiles arn't a bad idea, a device to aid compatiblity by saying: "one
datatype per plugin", "one datatype per host".
   In practice though, you can't force "one datatype" on a host writer.
Just as some software supports both VST and DXi, some may choose to support
both GMPI32 and GMPI64.

....all we can practically enforce is...

"one datatype per plugin".

We may not like that. But there's nothing we can do about it.

Are there really only two choices?

A) Datatype specified at Plugin level.
B) Datatype specified per pin. (e.g. float-in, double out possible)

Best Regards,
Jeff M