[gmpi] Re: Where are we?: 7.1.2

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 06:55:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Steve Harris wrote:

> I think youre missing the point slightly, currently the only thing that
> profiles wrap is the datatype because thats the only area we've discovered
> where paltops and desktops diverge.
> The idea is that there would be one palmtop profile and one desktop
> profile (and maybe others), but these could de independently versioned so
> that eg. the paltop profile may move to float and the desktop may move to
> doubles, at some point in the future.

Profile can also potentially encapsulate platform-binary and CPU-binary
issues (x86 vs PPC, Linux vs Mac OS X vs WinNT/2K/XP).

If we can agree to support one datatype per graph - and ultimately it
looks like this will be worth doing for simplicity's sake, although I
would still like to see test results on:-

- interleaved vs non-interleaved performance

- a long chain of plugs with high precision internal processing wired with
normal-precision vs long-precision wires, and the resulting effect on
signal quality and noise floor.

If those two are convincing enough from a technical point of view (i.e. if
interleaving does not bring a strong performance benefit, and using a
reasonably long chain of float32 wiring does not degrade the signal) then
I'm all in favour of the profiles approach. But, those distrustful of
doing things "for marketing reasons" should bear in mind that the
technical results must be ABSOLUTELY CONVINCING, because we are sure to
face marketing hype from anti-GMPI vendors, and we *must* have hard
technical evidence to face them down with. Even if we all agree that y
or z has no technical merit, that won't stop GMPI-hating Company X from
pushing it, and we need a robust response.

Regards,
        Angus.