[gmpi] Re: Where are we?: 7.1.2

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 08:39:24 +0100

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 12:50:56 +1200, Jeff McClintock wrote:
> My main point is, from the plugin's point-of-view.  Enforcing a single
> datatype, or enforcing a profile, is exactly the same thing (one datatype
> per plugin).
>
> I'm not against profiles.
>
> I'm just saying, you are adding an unnessesary layer of abstraction.
> Profile=datatype.  Why complicate it.

I think youre missing the point slightly, currently the only thing that
profiles wrap is the datatype because thats the only area we've discovered
where paltops and desktops diverge.

The idea is that there would be one palmtop profile and one desktop
profile (and maybe others), but these could de independently versioned so
that eg. the paltop profile may move to float and the desktop may move to
doubles, at some point in the future.