[gmpi] Re: Where are we?: 7.1.2

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:48:25 -0700 (PDT)

Ok, so where are we on this topic?  I took the weekend off from it, and it
seems that everyone else did too :)

Given: We agreed to 'handheld' device support
(//www.freelists.org/archives/gmpi/02-2003/msg00383.html).  They
typically do not have a useful FPU.  Therefore we must support Int data on
those platforms.

On the one hand we have profiles:
* Charaterize the datatype and maybe more
* Allows a single type for a profile
  + means less incompatibilities
  - means no Float64 for now
+ Allows different types for different profiles
  ? Is Int24 what handhelds want?  Or Int16?  Both?

On the second hand we have !profiles:
* Each plug uses one of a list of datatypes
* Allows multiple types simultaneously
  + allows Float64 plugs, Int24 plugs, etc.
  - necessitates conversions (can be solved by a simple converter API)

I covered the converter solution in a bit more detail here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/gmpi/06-2003/msg00422.html.  I admit it
is not the simplest choice, but it does solve the problems in a
host-transparent way.

Seeing as there is no discussion currently - let's kick it back into gear.

Thoughts at this point?

Tim